by: Dana Chen Fischer
Internet traffic from mobile web browsing is on the rise
As the use of smart-phones and tablets continues to increase in popularity, more people are accessing information online using their handheld devices.Mobile technology is developing a strong presence in people’s lives and transforming the way businesses communicate with their target audience. The concept of “mobile marketing” involves several techniques, such as mobile websites, social location marketing, SMS and MMS marketing, mobile advertising and mobile apps.
In 2012, worldwide mobile phone users will increase to 4.11 billion*; with an ever-rising number of Internet users accessing the web on their mobile phones and tablets. Is your business ready to make the most of this trend? *eMarketer, April 2011
Enhancing Your Presence on a Mobile Website
Websites in their traditional format,when accessed via a mobile phone or a smart phone appear to be all jumbled up or are difficult to navigate. Is your website compatible for mobile devices?
Remember, your mobile website must be:
- Easy for your customers to reach you via a mobile phone or tablet>
- Should not require any inconvenient downloads by your customers
- Be easily accessible on any mobile browser
- Be easy to update and manage
Best practices for mobile website design
- Route mobile users to a dedicated ‘mobile’ version of your website.
- Using standard mobile mark-ups (like XHTML Basic and XHTML Mobile Profile) will ensure that a wide array of mobile devices can render your page as you intend it to be seen.
- Each mobile browser shows markedly different characteristics. Test your mobile website on a range of browsers and devices.
- Keep page sizes small; less than 10KB if possible. Mobile pages typically take longer to load due to slower network speeds, so minimize use of images where possible.
- Make sure that all pages are linked to other pages. It's still a little complex to browse with a mobile phone, so don’t make it harder by forcing users to hit the back button to escape dead ends.
- Use a single column layout to minimize left/right navigation, which is difficult on a phone.
- It is important that users should be able to see maximum page content once the page has loaded, without scrolling.
- Don’t cause pop-ups or other windows to appear, and don’t change the current window without informing the user.
- With video and audio, beware of Flash and other closed formats that aren’t compatible on some devices.Don’t download video/audio files until requested and NEVER use auto-play.
Leveraging QR Codes to Drive Traffic to your Website
QR (Quick Response) codes are those barcode-like images that can be scanned by smart-phones, whichstore more information as compared to conventional barcodes.They can be linked to URLs directly. For example, if you scan the QR code given below, it’ll take you to google.com.<
This bar-coding technology is able to easily incorporate social media capabilities, custom landing pages and store text based information such as mailing addresses.These codes can be easily scanned by almost all iPhones, Androids or other camera enabled smart-phones which integrate barcode scanning applications.This will allow you to entice audiences with dynamic engagement strategies.
How your business can incorporate QR codes to build website traffic:
- Print medium. QR Codes can be printed in newspapers/magazines, posters, CD labels etc, where the person scanning the code can reach the mobile website of the advertiser.
- Websites. These codes can be scanned from the primary website and in turn lead to the mobile website.
- Business Cards. Your potential clients and business associates can scan the QR code on your business card and easily add you to their phone contacts.
- Product Packaging. Incorporating QR codes on the packaging of your products can help provide vital information such as customer care contact details, user manuals and other vital information.
- Direct Marketing and In-Shop Print Advertising. When used in your print advertisements, mass mails or email signatures, QR Codescan help drive traffic and a consequent fan following to your social networking profiles on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- Effective Event Management. You can print QR codes on tickets or invites of your event and link them to Google maps, RSVP pages and all other event related material.
Mobile marketing is inexpensive, immediate and personal. It’s a viable new way to create customer loyalty, increase awareness and boost sales.We can assist your business to optimise your marketing strategy leveraging this exciting new trend.