Nowadays, Social Media is the buzz words and businesses of all sizes try to figure out how to reach and engage with their customers.
While your Facebook page might have a lot of likes, if your fan rarely interact with your page or your post, your updates will have very slim chance to show up on their feeds due to Facebook’s edge ranking algorithm.
Regardless how active somebody is on the social media, people are all pretty good at keeping up with their emails, so email marketing is a much reliable way to deliver your message. Email marketing can help with both your lead generation and customer retention efforts, which is why it’s an effective tactic for businesses of all industries.
There are two important components for any successful email marketing:
- An Opt-in email list.
- Relevant and interesting information that you are sending.
Many companies try to find shortcut and even buy email list; those email campaigns normally have very low open rate and could also be potentially damaging to your company’s reputation. Your domain could be black listed if a lot of email users label your emails as “spam”.
Here are some tips on how to generate your in-house opt-in email list:
● Ask for it: ask and you shall receive! During any customer touch points, you can ask the permission to add them into your mailing list. You’d be surprised by how easily people will give theirs up if you just ask for it. Whether in a physical store or on a website, people are accustomed to being asked for their email address, so don’t worry about scaring anybody away.
● Give some incentive: if you’re having trouble generating a list of email addresses, consider adding some incentive for those who give you their information. Offering promotions, discounts, or valuable information via a whitepaper or webinar in exchange for email addresses will be more successful.
● Run a contest: similar to providing incentives, you could also run a contest and raffle off a product, service, or just a popular item. All you need to do is to have people submit ballots that include their email address - if your prize is good enough, you’re sure to generate a decent list of contacts.
● Friend referral: once you do start sending out communications, a great way to grow your database is to get subscribers to ‘Forward to a Friend.’ Put a ‘Forward to a Friend’ link in all of your newsletters and drive subscribers to a page where they can type in their friends’ information and you’ll instantly add to your list of contacts!
Email marketing still plays an important role in today’s digital marketing mix, so use it even if it’s not the latest “thing” out there; it’s one of the most effective digital marketing strategies.